A jigsaw is an important tool for a woodworker. It can help you in completing longterm woodworking projects and thus help in earning money. But jigsaw can be used for cutting substances like metal, acrylic glass. Acrylic glass is referred to as plexiglass. Here I am going to tell you a complete guide on how to cut plexiglass with a jigsaw.
Table of contents
How to cut plexiglass with a Jigsaw
What is plexiglass?
Plexiglass is a glass-like substance that is also referred to as acrylic glass. It is a light-weight substance often used in sheet form. It can be used on home paintings as a glass.
Ways to cut Plexiglass
First of all, you need to choose the right jigsaw blade for the cutting of plexiglass. A good choice is to use a blade with 10 TPI. The higher the TPI, the more will be the cutting power of the jigsaw.
After that, you do not need to approach it at a full slow speed. First start at slow speed and when the blade begins to heat up then increase the speed. Then cut the plexiglass at an appropriate speed. Do not put your hand near the blade. Plexiglass is plastic, it can cause friction with a jigsaw blade. As a result, the material can melt together. There are many ways to avoid this melting
You need to be perfect in your approach. First, you need to make slow cuts. But when the blade starts heating then makes a faster cut. In this way, you can make faster cuts and avoid melting.
- Another problem comes when you are cutting with a corded jigsaw. You have to settle the extension. In this way, a pause comes during your cutting. So you are not able to make steady and accurate cuts So better to use a cordless jigsaw as it is battery powered and no pause will come during your cutting.
- Plexiglass has a tendency to break so better no to make straight cuts. So better make curved cuts. Jigsaw is the best saw to make curved cuts.
Methods to avoid overheating
You can use the following methods to avoid overheating
- You can use a lubricant to reduce friction. As a result overheating does not result.
- Moreover, you can also use water to cool the plexiglass. Water cools the plexiglass during the process of overheating. These are the method you can use to avoid overheating.
- Jigsaw blade breaks sometimes, so you need to protect your eyes. So you should wear safety glasses while cutting plexiglass,
- The second thing you need to do is to find a good surface. In some cases, the plexiglass will fall off. It is not good for plexiglass to fall off while cutting. You do not need any sort of disturbance while cutting this. You need to be careful and super accurate to get your job done.
Cutting plexiglass requires a lot of practice. You need to practice on small pieces before performing the main task. An important tip is to wear safety glasses. Because in case of breakage, your eyes will be protected. Jigsaw is only recommended when you are making curved cuts. In the case of brittle plexiglass and long straight cuts, bandsaw, hacksaw, table saw will be more suitable. This is all about how to cut plexiglass with a jigsaw. If you want more information about how to use a jigsaw tool what are the great jigsaw options available in the market, you can visit our other articles. I hope you like our guide, feel free to drop a comment. It will be highly appreciated. If you have any questions for our team, feel free to contact us.